Monday, September 1, 2014

uhm...so I cheated today...

No, really, I did.  Not in a oh I didn't plan to eat that many carbs kind of way...in a 4x oh no! kind of way...but let me explain...

We took our daughter back to college today.  She's the youngest and this is her second year so she was very excited to have her own dorm room....and had two car loads of stuff to fill it up.  It's a 3 hour drive (one way) to get there, so I was up early this morning.  I know what you're thinking, but no, I did eat breakfast...4 oz of protein.  I also drank a 20oz bottle of water...and poured another bottle to take with me on the road....but I did have two cups of coffee (#1)---- this caused a pit stop in the woods because there is no way that 40oz of water and two cups of coffee make it 3 hours in my bladder...just is not happening.  We got to campus about 12:30 and started unloading.  Of course, once we got unloaded we realized that Jas needed every piece of furniture in the room moved.  Seriously.  Why we didn't realize this when we checked the room before we unloaded is one of life's little mysteries.  Why did she need to move it?  Because the way it was set up her head would have been at either the window or the door.  Now, every conspiracy theorist knows that in a new place you put your back to the wall.  You just do.  I'm betting the stuffed caterpillar is between her and that door tonight too.  ;)  Did I mention it was hot?  Not just hot, but they were expecting thunder storm- muggy- hot.  By the time we moved all of the furniture and about all of her belongs a time or two, my hubby was literally dripping.  So, being the good wife I am, I sent him off to get a drink and find a place to smoke...the campus in non-smoking which is great,  unless you happen to be married to a very hot, smoker...so he happily agreed to go off while we started unpacking...it's now going on 1:30 or so...

It didn't get less hot.  Just sayin'... so.... a little while later I look up and my wonderful hubby is walking back in....he's carrying a cardboard McDonald's cup carrier.  In which, he has 3 ice cold cokes and 3 hot fudge sundaes.   This is one of the reasons I married him.  :)  So I drank soda (#2) through a STRAW (#3) and had ice cream for lunch...now, I think I should get partial credit for this one because I did eat all 3 packets of nuts on my sundae and that should count for some protein...but then again, it was mixed in- so not first...oh alright! (#4)! Damn!  I cheated!!

Well, that could be how the story ends...but on the way home, I stopped and got another 20oz of water...and when we got home...I really didn't want to walk.  I mean 6 hours in a car?  My back was killing me and my legs were all swollen.  But you know what?  That is exactly why I needed to walk.  Being  fat  plump is exactly why my legs swell and my back hurts.  And I'm gonna stay fat plump unless I keep my ass moving.  So off I went on my walk while my loving hubby fixed me some protein for dinner.

My little lesson for myself today?  I'm human.  That soda and ice cream really tasted like heaven in that moment.  Do I need to prepare better for the 3 months after surgery? Yes!  Am I proud of myself for getting right back on track? Yes!  Not long ago I would have said "oh, I blew it for today anyway lets get junk".  And then I would have sat and ate the junk without moving (except to pee).  But today I was better.  Not good, or I wouldn't have cheated, but better.

I know I will not be perfect on this journey.  Maybe you find it hard to be perfect too?  All I can do is do better.  Better than I've done in the past.  Better than I did 5 minutes ago.  Small steps.  I'm now down 17lbs over all and an inch off my waist and an inch off my hips, which lets me get into pants I couldn't get into at the beginning of the summer. :)  Small steps.

People have been asking me if I'm starting to get scared about the surgery.  Not really.  I am starting to get a bit nervous about the two week liquid diet.  I am so hoping that I can nail that.  Not only so that I can say I did, but so that my liver will shrink and help make the surgery as easy and successful as it can be.

I'm still feeling dehydrated from today...brings it home that all you folks in the tropics need to keep the fluids going! :)  Here's to you! Keep that water going!  Cheers!

Thanks for being here for me!

~Mikki

2 comments:

  1. This is my life, drive to college to settle in the youngest, now I empty nest and wonder. Its a new life and may have struggles, oh yeah I will have struggles. Grand kids, work, holidays... it's about me for the first time and that is a hard thing for me to keep in mind, happy and scared about making this decision

    Mrs H

    ReplyDelete