Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Time Passages...

So can you believe it??  It's almost 2 months since this all started!!  I'm making some progress...tonight it took me 18 minutes to walk the same distance that took me 25 minutes last night!  See, progress!!

"I know you're in there, you're just out of sight"
My daughter was telling me about a nice body lotion she found so that I could keep everything all nice.  My elasticity has been pretty good, I'm hoping it hangs in there and shrinks with me. Gross fact I read...as you loose weight that quickly, your skin cells don't have time to shed like they normally would - they build up and cause itching....ewe! I guess I'll need an extra strength loofah!!   The good news will be everything will be easier to reach!  ;)

I'm still reading the forums...the hardest thing for me to get over is how hard people are on themselves...there was a lady who had surgery in March...I can't remember how much she had lost but she was all bummed out that she hadn't lost anything for 3 weeks...but she went from a size 34 pant size to a 20!!  Hello!! That is amazing! How can you be upset with that?  Give yourself a break people!   We need to forgive ourselves.

I'm a big believer in positive power.  Believe in yourself and realize that no one is perfect.  We are all going to make mistakes.  But be honest enough to take a look at them and own it then move to the next step.  No one gets out of this life alive so be good to yourself!

How are you doing on your water today?  I'm doing good!  It's getting easier...of course let's see if I can do that on the weekend.

I'm doing better on my homework.  I have to confess it was harder to get into these rules.  The no "bread or mixed foods" thing is hard.  I find myself already tending to eat Atkins-like already even though I'm still allowed some carbs.  I guess that the idea since eventually that will be my diet.  I'm glad I'm keeping the food diary...it keeps me honest with myself.

So I promised we'd talk about phase 3...2 weeks after surgery (if all goes well) I can move on to soft or pureed protein for 2-4 weeks.

Remember to chew to applesauce like consistency:

  • Egg beaters
  • Eggs, no more than 1 yolk per day
  • Cheese (low fat)
  • Veggie cheese (wtf is this?)
  • Cottage cheese (low fat)
  • Yogurt (light or fat free)
  • Skim milk
  • Tuna fish - packed in water (as if I'd want anything else)
  • Canned chicken
  • Fresh white fish- cod, sole, flounder, scallops, imitation crab meat (ewe), shrimp (have I mentioned I'm allergic to shellfish?)
  • Legumes- kidney beans, black beans, garbanzos
  • Turkey breast or ham
  • Tofu, boca burger, soy products (just gross)
Any other proteins must be lean and ground in the blender to baby food consistency.  This is important to avoid blockage that can cause terrible abdominal pains, vomiting or nausea.  No bread, cereal, rice, noodles, fruits or vegetables during this phase.
Sample menu:
Breakfast:  1 or 2 soft boiled eggs or 4-6 ounces of yogurt
snack:  water, crystal light
Lunch:  1/2 cup cottage cheese or 1-2 oz. fish
snack: 4-8 oz protein shake
Dinner:  1-2 oz turkey slices, 1 oz low fat cheese
snack:  4-8 oz protein shake

You'll notice they still include the protein shakes...when you eat so little it's hard to hit your protein goal unless you supplement with them.

I'll have to make sure to get my protein to help promote wound healing and minimize muscle loss.  I won't be enjoying any soy products since I have already entered that merry world of menopause.  :)  
Doesn't really sound that great does it?  I'm sure it will seem like heaven after just having liquids for about a month.  I see other people be much more creative with how they prepare their puree so I'm hoping that I find some blended combos that taste good.  LOL  They say you don't really have much of an appetite anyway, but your head still thinks it wants to taste real food.  AND...you know what isn't on that list? salad.  Not that I never enjoy salad.  Sometimes I even like it...but gone are the days of dieting meaning just salad after salad!!  ( That deserves a happy dance...come on do it with me now! )  


Things are moving along.  Next week the support group and the week after that another NUT(nutrition)  visit and then it'll only be a couple weeks until the psych appointment...things are lined right up...I'm betting the next two months go as fast as the last two (even though I don't want to wish away the summer)!  I'm still excited - and a little bit nervous- I did pretty well at work yesterday.  We had a pizza party and I didn't eat any crust. It wasn't bad...much better than if I couldn't eat any toppings!! ;)

I can do this.  It's a tool.  A tool to help me forever.  I just have to use it and take care of myself.  Easier said than done, right?  Well, just one step at a time.   

Thanks for sharing my voyage.  

~Mikki

No comments:

Post a Comment