Saturday, June 7, 2014

Sometimes research is scary...

So, I started reading the blog that Elizabeth (the dietitian) had recommended and from there I found a forum that had some great information. obesityhelp.com.

They have a whole section dedicated to people who have had the sleeve.  I was happily reading posts and reeling off stats to Jay about people losing weight so fast...and then I came across someone who was celebrating her 7yr anniversary and someone made a comment about all she had gone through so I (of course) had to look into her back story.  OMG.

She has posted it so I'm going to assume that she doesn't mind people talking about it.  She had her surgery in Canada.  She had to argue a bit with her doctor it sounds like to get the surgery done.  His stats at that time were 3700/3.  By that I mean he'd done the surgery 3700 times and had 3 fatalities.

Let that sink in for a moment.

This lady who was super morbidly obese felt like she was already dying.   She had many, many health issues.  She underwent the surgery...and her stomach didn't feel too bad but her shoulder was killing her.  That's not surprising since the gas they pump in to blow your stomach up while they work on it often travels up to the shoulders.  Well, she was still having pain 8 weeks later. Kept being told it was the gas.  Then that she had pancreatitis, then pneumonia before they realized the had a pulmonary embolism.   She developed 2 abscesses on her staple line that they tried to repair, then she developed another 1...she ended up having the sleeve completely redone.  She started in June and ended up actually starting her recovery in December.
OMG.

I know that this is a serious surgery. Really, I do. But wow that brings it to another level.
I am so grateful to know that my doctor has a fantastic record. No fatalities.  I am so grateful that I am having this surgery before I have any major health issues.  I am so grateful that I have so much support from people that love me.

The really good things I read are that people do lose weight.  I mean like 30-40 lbs in two to three months lose weight! I read things I know will apply to me...like how the nausea made one woman dry heave so much after the surgery she pee'd the bed 3x (lol), and that by two weeks out you are so happy to see pureed food just to taste something different than the liquid diet.  I am a little concerned about how most of these people seemed to have taken a lot of time off from work.  Maybe their health issues made their schedules different anyhow?  But I'm hoping to work this around vacation time.  Fortunately I don't have to do a lot of physical activity at my job, but sitting up straight can be tough and I won't be lifting any computers and moving them around for a bit after :)

so speaking of pureed foods, this is what phase two will look like typically: (you can see why I'll be happy to get to pureed food)

you get to go off clear liquids and have this for two weeks-

Breakfast: 4 - 8 oz protein shake
mid morning:  1cup sugar free flavored water
Lunch:   4 -8 oz protein shake
mid afternoon:  1 cup broth
Dinner:  4 - 9 oz protein shake
Evening:  1/2 sugar free jell-o and 1/2 cup water

plus you start vitamins at this stage.  Doesn't that sound yummy?  ;)

This is also pretty much the two week pre-op diet,  so for about 5 weeks it's this and clear liquids...yeah, I'm hoping its closer to 40 lbs  LOL

Other than shoulder pain the only thing that stood out to me from most peoples' comments about the surgery was that if they were alone they were surprised by how lonely they were. Can I say again how thankful I am to have people that love me supportive in this?

I know it will be worth it.  My first support group will be on the 16th...it's called "protein night" so sounds like a good one to join.

How are you doing on your water?  I'm only through 3 bottles today...I'm telling you...weekends are tougher, but I just have to focus.

Thanks for staying with me!
~Mikki

1 comment:

  1. I've been reading obesityhelp for a few weeks now, too! I log on every night before bed. I havent posted much, just trying to read up on people's experiences. Do you know how you can find out a doctor's "record" for surgeries vs. Fatalities?

    ReplyDelete