Thursday, May 22, 2014

protein...it's the word of the day!

My first visit to the dietitian went well.  Her name is Elizabeth.  We talked about all the stuff I've talked to you guys about! :)

She agrees the sleeve seems to be the best choice for me too.

I've lost 3lbs...so another 4 sticks of butter :)

Still not dieting... YAY!  

So what's new you ask?  Well I now have a defined protein goal.  I should be reaching at least 60g a day.  It's ok to get more...well maybe not over a 100 grams consistently, but between 60 and 85 is fine.  Protein is what feeds our muscles and if we don't get enough even if we are losing weight, we are losing muscle as well as fat and then when we gain again (because, you know, we always do) the fat goes on easier and comes off harder...and it gets progressively worse each time.  This is why obesity is a chronic condition.

I also have more homework.  I turned in my food logs...and believe me there was nothing really "diet" like about them.  But I did get my goal of protein almost every day.  Now I have to focus on eating the right cycle of foods.  No more bread or complex foods (casseroles, shepherd's pie, chop-suey, yeah the good stuff) and start to eat the protein first, then the veggie and last the starch.  She doesn't care about what I eat for portions right now because that will take care of itself after the surgery.  It's more important to eat slowly and chew each bite down to sauce.  Not to drink for up to an hour after I eat. And get used to the cycle.  I also need to incorporate another day of exercise in...gotta get that figured into my weekend somehow!  All the studies show that people who started a routine (doesn't matter what kind) before the surgery, do better after the surgery.  And I want to do better.

She gave me the name of a blog to read "The world according to Egg Face".  It has recipes too!

Now to start attending some support groups.  She said they are like anything that is people based...they are as good as the people who are there.

BUT first! We're off on vacation...I'll try to blog about my choices while in Florida... I already know I will more than likely have more wine than usual and have to work at drinking my water but vacation is always a challenge.  I'm just grateful that Elizabeth said I didn't have to watch my portions right before we leave!! ;)



1 comment:

  1. sorry! I guess I ended that a little abruptly! Can you tell my grandkids are here? :)
    Thanks again for following along.
    ~Mikki

    ReplyDelete