Saturday, October 11, 2014

re-learning how to eat...

Hi Guys!

I'm sorry, I know I haven't been keeping up very well.  I'll try to be better!  So, I'm 3- almost 4 weeks post op now.  What's going on?

Well, this was a tough week.  Healing is really going on which means that nerve endings are starting to repair...that means?? I'm starting to feel things I didn't before.  Yeah, every time I get a little cocky thinking I've got this down, reality comes along to remind me to be humble.  Let's see...I know I told you the weight was stalled...part of that was probably constipation...too much info? Well, sadly in this world it seems to be a big deal.  I took some miralax and started adding benefiber to my shakes.  I was doing ok until Tuesday morning.  I don't know what happened. I was minding my own business at work when...BAM! I started having awful cramps...headed to the bathroom...had to throw up which we all know I do NOT like...and was stuck on the toilette for awhile...came home from work early and headed right back into the bathroom...alternated between there and the bedroom for a couple days.  The good news?  Oh, the scale started moving again! :) I've lost 15lbs since surgery and 39 lbs since April.  I really don't know if it was a touch of the flu or just things adjusting to their new layout.  By Friday I was feeling much better.

So, how is the eating going?  That's a tough question to answer.  It really depends on what I'm eating, how much I can eat.  Isn't that weird?  It's kind of scary too because right now it's hard to know and I've made myself miserable a few times.  As close as I can tell, chicken is a bit evil for me.  It goes down easy and feels like it's doing well but then all of a sudden about 20 minutes later it makes my belly hurt.  Bison (chili), hamburger(shepherd's pie), and turkey sausage (with egg) seem to be much more reasonable at this point.  I can usually eat about 3-4 oz of food at a sitting.  But if I try that with chicken I am completely miserable.  Two oz is about max and even then I'm not sure if it's gonna go down comfy.

OMG! I finally found out what it feels like to forget to eat!  Can you believe it?  Last Saturday I had half an egg and half a turkey sausage link for breakfast...then I did some stuff...Jay came home from work and we went for a walk...at some point I felt kind of peckish and looked at the clock...3:30pm!!  I hadn't remembered to eat anything else since breakfast!!  I've read about this but never...NEVER!... expected it to happen to me! It's actually not a good thing right now while I'm trying to get all my protein in, but wow! Totally crazy experience not to feel hungry!!

I love my sleeve!! I love my sleeve!!

I've gone down a pant size.  It's not perfect yet, but looks much better than the bagging of the old size.   I have been told the weight loss is really getting noticeable now.   My hubby tells me daily that he is proud of me...which is wonderful to hear of course...I came home yesterday to a package he sent me.  It had some lovely expensive perfume and a few other treats in it...I asked what it was for and he said that I was looking so good I needed a treat! ;)  Guess he has still decided to spoil me, it's just not with food any more. ;)

I haven't been shopping yet...I'm just digging things out of my closet that I haven't been able to wear in awhile...and by awhile I mean a couple of years.  I can wear my mother's ring again!!  I'm going to need my other rings re-sized at some point, but I'll wait til I get closer to goal.  I am 4 lbs away from being half way to goal.  I like to break it down...that sounds much easier than saying I still have 48 lbs to lose! ;)

It actually is starting to feel like a real possibility though. When you think about needing to lose a large quantity of weight...almost 90 lbs for me...and I'm considered a "lightweight" in the WLS world...it seems so overwhelming that it's easy to see why people just give up.  I am so thankful that I found the program I did.  That they helped me to start dealing with with food in real ways months before I went through the surgery.  Just think! I'm not quite even a month out and I'm almost half way to goal!  When people say "don't you think you could have done this  yourself?"  NO.  I know now that I could not have.  I would never have thought of food as a fuel source.  I would never have stopped being hungry after only a few ounces of food.  I would never have been able to break it down and understand that the fat was ruling me.  Does this have it's challenges?  YES.  I have no idea what is going on with my menstrual cycle.,,it changes it's mind daily as the hormones are released from the fat loss...my stomach actually has hurt...really hurt a couple times this week...I am tired a lot more...I need to make sure I build in time for exercise every day...I will never again eat a giant plateful of my favorite food...
But, think of it this way... I will never again be able to eat a giant plateful of my favorite food.  :)

Thanks for sticking with me!

~Mikki

No comments:

Post a Comment