Monday, October 20, 2014

-17 lbs first month...

Hello Peeps!  So I'm more than a month out now...down more than 42 lbs overall.  :)  Can't really complain about that!

So, how are things going? Well, let's start off with some things that I'm happy about...first, I can chew gum.  I know I wasn't supposed to...(I'm such a rebel)...but when I asked why it was about air in the stomach so I took a chance... no problem. :)  Second, I can drink through a straw...(again that rebel thing)...and thank goodness for that cause those protein shakes are getting hard to get down.  I tried this out of a bit of desperation and have to say it helps  a LOT!

People at work are telling me that they can really start to see a difference now, of course they all know what I've gone through so they might just be being nice LOL, but today a rep came in that I haven't seen for about a year...she asked me what I'd done to my hair...I said nothing...she said well, there's really something different about your face!  I said yeah, I've lost 40lbs!  She was like OMG! I guess that would do it! HAHA!  She started to say how that was great and asked me what I was doing...I told her I'd had surgery...it was amazing to me how uncomfortable this made her...she wasn't sure what to say so she just said "well, I'm sure you must be feeling great" which was really an excellent thing to say, because, yes. Yes, I am.

So what you might ask is not going great?  Well, I have noticed a pattern,,, on the days that I get all my protein in, I don't seem to be able to hit my goal for water...on the days I get on my water in? Yeah, I don't hit my protein goal...odd but true.  I'm trying to at least alternate them somewhat so I don't go too long without either but I know I need to get better.  The real issue is to get in the protein I need to have a shake.  When I have a shake I don't feel like drinking.  I just can't eat enough yet to get my protein in without that supplement.   But hey, there are worse things.  It will come.

I've been trying out different things.  One of them is the fresh jerky my husband bought me...that' pretty tasty...and the other is pork rinds...

Now, you ask why pork rinds?  Well it turns out that these little snackers are about all protein...they only problem with them is that I know they are all protein because I know what they are made of...it really does not do the appetite a good turn.  Now, they are not terrible...and I have to say the salt and vinegar ones are superior to the plain ones...but they are not chips.  Can I say that again?  They are not chips.

They do help out a bit when a craving hits though...and since I can only eat like 3 I can usually do that without thinking too hard about what they are made of.

Wednesday I go to my first post op nutrition visit!  It will be interesting to see what Elizabeth has to say about how I'm doing.

I am almost half way to goal! That's exciting!  Only two more months until I can have a glass of wine.  That's pretty exciting too!!  I'm not really having any issues with reflux...never really did so I'm not surprised...I do take the RX Dr. Trieu gave me for it because I don't want acid to effect the healing.  I have a harder time remembering the vitamin...ugh!

I can see walking is going to start to be a challenge...I just about froze my fingers off tonight...guess I will have to start using the gazelle now that it's getting cold.   I'm still loving my fitbit because it gives me direction about where I am in the day for activity.

I really don't have any complaints about my surgery.  Everything is healing well that I can see and feel.  I still can't eat much chicken...like half of what I can eat of anything else or it hurts...that just might be off the table for me for awhile...but all other meats seem to go great.  I can do about 1.5 - 2 ounces of beef or pork pretty comfortably.  I tried some rice pudding and have to say that could be very dangerous...I only had about 3 ounces for a serving, but it lies very comfy and gives not issues...except of course it's calories! :)  It is nice to know that there are still treats I can have though.

I know many people believe you have to be completely true and strict until you get to the maintenance stage (and that is wonderful for them)...well, I didn't have this done with that in mind.  It wasn't what I ate that made me fat...don't get me wrong, it didn't help...but it was the AMOUNT I ate that made me fat.  Am I still staying away from pasta and bread? Yes...am I still avoiding chips?  Sadly, Yes.  But, I still plan to have a glass of wine (once I can) and a 1/2 cup of ice cream at some point.   I just have to really learn to get my protein in first so that my body has the appropriate fuel to create muscle so it can burn said treats.   It's all coming together slowly. :)  I'll let you know how Wednesday goes.

Keep hydrating people...just cause it's cooler doesn't mean your body doesn't need it still.  And keep moving...even if you can't get outside, spend some time doing an activity inside.  All movement is good! Remember! Small steps!

Thanks for staying with me!
~Mikki

No comments:

Post a Comment