Saturday, November 5, 2016

First sand storm

Hi Guys! How's everyone doing? Getting your steps in? Keeping hydrated?  Don't let the cooler months let you forget to drink your water!  I hope everyone is feeling healthy!

We're a little over 3 weeks out now working here at La Paz RV Park.  Seems like longer.  I don't mean that in a bad way.  It's just that the days here seem very long and blend into each other a bit.  It get tricky remembering what day it is quite often! Hard problem to have, right??  ;)

The weather has started to cool down. In fact I often need to bundle up now in the evening. (Jay says it's wonderful...the weather, not me bundling up...he thinks that's hilarious.) We're running in the 70-80s during the day and down into the lower 50s at night. The weather can be really weird here though.  This week we had a rainbow (sorry, I missed getting a pic) and then not long after that our first sand storm.  This was a learning experience.

First, let me say I actually had seen it coming but didn't realize it.  We went into town to find out about a sand delivery for the new water system, and since we have really awful internet here we stopped to see about a Winegard portable satellite . ( You knew they had me with the name, right?) DISH network has a special and it seemed like a good deal.  By dropping our phone package back to what we originally had (we had increased it to unlimited LTE but since we can't get that here we can't use the hot-spot feature) we can basically offset the price.  So they told us that the paper work and programming would take an hour or so and they'd call us when it was ready.  We picked up some groceries and headed back to the rig.  ~ Our new assistant managers made in to the park today.  Their truck had broken down about 140 miles away so they had to have service and didn't make it until late in the day. ~ I mention this to let you know that we had a few things going on and when the rainbow happened we thought it was cool but didn't really pay that much attention.

I was making potato salad and ribs for dinner, and the kids will know that I get pretty involved with making potato salad. :)  I got the call that the satellite was ready and I left Jay to pull the eggs off the grill burner while he was chatting with the our new help and hopped in the car to head back into town.  After I picked up the satellite and was driving back, I noticed this amazing looking cloud over the mountain.  It was quite a bit more orange that usual, but it didn't really click what that meant.  Anyway, I got back to the site and back to making dinner.  We actually had the ribs boiling on the grill ( we boil them in seasoned water prior to grilling to make them super tender) and I stepped into the rig for a second when I heard Jay yell "just let it go! watch out!" and then " Hon, we've got problems out here!"

Yeah. It was that fast. Just like that the wind came out of no where and ripped our little awning that had all the solo-cup lights out of the ground and up over the neighbors truck and it was two sites down before it stopped enough for Jay, Phil and Denise to grab it. (We did have it anchored but not enough I guess!)  I came out of the rig to help.  We got all the solo-cup lights off and believe it or not my humming bird feeder didn't break! suddenly an alarm was going off in the rig.  Like fire alarm style alarm. Very loud.  I took a look around but couldn't figure out why it was going off.  It stopped after a few minutes and we finished getting the awning put away. Yes, the wind was still blowing during all of this. It was also carrying sand along with it just for fun.  I was putting the awning back in the basement and noticed the grill flame had blown out but the propane was still going. The wind was dying down, so I went ahead and restarted the grill.  About that time the alarm started going off again.  It took us a little bit, (it's very hard to think when you have a very loud noise going off insistently and dogs freaking out from the noise), but finally Jay noticed a light on the control panel; flipped the LP leak warning switch off and the noise stopped. YAY!  Apparently, when the grill had blown out and I had the basement open putting stuff away enough LP blew into the basement to set off the sensor that there was a leak!  How cool is that?? I mean, it was loud, and stressful but now I know we never have to worry about not knowing if we have an LP leak! ;)  Our FBG will let us know for sure!

The sand storm lasted a total of about 10-15 minutes (seemed longer lol) but was a learning experience for sure.  I now know what I saw over the mountain.  The residents say you can't tell if it will show up when that happens. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. And apparently that was a very little one.  Their advice (the next day) was shut your windows first or you'll have piles of sand inside. Yikes!

Just another lesson from the desert.  It can be so beautiful and change in a hot minute!

This morning I was awake early so I went out to open up everything here and walk the dogs...this is what 6:15 am looks like here...

One of the dryers in the laundry room has been acting up so we spent last night doing laundry and checking it out.  Exciting Friday night. :)

3 weeks isn't enough to tell us if we love it or hate it here yet.  We've had a couple of days of each so far.  The best part by far is the people.  Everyone is so super nice here.  They have been very appreciative of the work we are trying to do and really supportive.  We do miss everyone at home.  We're hoping that now that we have some help here, we'll be able to see some of the area and enjoy what makes the desert fun.  Hopefully I'll have some good pictures soon. ;)

Each day we get to learn a little more.  Sometimes the hard way, but hey, at least we're learning!  Thanks for coming along with us! More soon.

~Mikki

No comments:

Post a Comment